It’s been a while since I’ve done a post (illness and general busy-ness are to blame), but being book week this week it’s the perfect opportunity to jump back in!
Ideas for celebrating book week with your little one:
– Snuggle under a blanket and read a book together. Maybe there’s a book you loved as a child that you can share.
– Read some popular children’s classics you’ve always wanted to read to your child, but haven’t got around to reading to them yet. Books like Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy, Possum Magic, My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes or The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
– Take a trip to your local library. Most libraries have a time during the week when someone reads to children and provides activities. Or just spend an hour looking at books with your child (and picking a few to take home).
– Check out your local area for special book week events. Some bookstores and libraries may be running book week specific activities.
– Try to make a point of reading at least one book a day to your child, even if it isn’t your usual routine.
– Have a look at the Children’s Book Council of Australia Awards shortlist for some great new books that have come out in the last year.
Have you got anything special planned for book week?